Daily Archives: 31 March 2016

Status QtWebEngine in KDEPIM

As QtWebKit will be remove from official Qt package I decided some months ago to evaluate QtWebEngine.

For sure QtWebEngine < 5.6 was too limited. But I started to use it. I evaluated QtWebEngine 5.5 but some features were missing (as possibility to block request or use custom scheme url).

I started to focus on Akregator as it still used khtml, I migrated it to QtWebKit and after that to QtWebEngine. (For 16.04 there is a experimental option to activate compilation).

When I proved that it was possible to use in kdepim I started to port kmail. It was not easy as we use specific QtWebKit methods as QtWebElement which are sync method. In QtWebEngine we need to use async method.

So I started to create test application and autotests to validate my changes.

(For example I wanted to make sure that scamdetection works in QtWebEngine as it worked in QtWebKit).

Status in master

Akregator/Kontact/kmail can use QtWebEngine.

I created a new lib to replace composereditor-ng, named composereditorwebengine to make it possible to use QtWebEngine in Blogilo too. I finished it this morning.

I reimplemented AccessKey + AdBlock + ScamDetection support against QtWebEngine.

Future

I will continue to fix, implement features. Not all is finished (but I use by default KMail QtWebEngine so I can see bugs and fix them).