QtWebEngine in kdepim
As QWebKit is deprecated now (it’s not in official 5.6 package, but we still able to build by hand for 5.6 as distro will do) I investigated how to replace it by QWebEngine.
For sure QWebEngine < Qt5.6 was not enough to replace it in akregator or others kdepim component.
For example QUrl custom scheme was not supported until 5.6.
So I decided to start porting kdepim against QtWebEngine. Some parts were easy as “about page” in kontact, others were harder as akregator support or others parts were not started yet (as remove QtWebKit in kmail for example).
This big problem is that QtWebEngine uses async method when QtWebKit used sync method.
So it was necessary to rewrite a lot of part of code (still in progress).
But my big success is Akregator which works fine with QtWebEngine.
In kdepim/messagelib/kdepimlibs I added an option for activate it. But it will not activate by default for 16.04 as it’s still not perfect yet.
I will continue this work until 16.08.
There is still a lot of work as:
- reimplement adblock support (in progress)
- reimplement accesskey
- rewrite mail viewer to support it
- rewrite blogilo lib based on QtWebEngine.
But it’s good and fun to do it 🙂